Sometimes, due to some improper setup of Microsoft Excel or incomplete components for Microsoft Office, direct connection to Excel files may not be possible.
Please follow these steps before going forward
try the above step and go back to infocaptor and connect again. If it does not work then follow the steps below.
This tutorial provides an alternative method to connect to the Excel Files. This method also applies to any new format of Excel Files or Microsoft Access databases (ie. mdb or .accdb)
Steps to Create DSN for ODBC connection
1. Click on the Start menu and click on the Control Panel
2. Click on the "Administrative Tools".
NOTE: You may need to "Switch to Classic View" in windows Vista or newer version of your windows operating system
3. Click on the "Data Sources (ODBC)" setup icon
4. Click on "Add"
5. Select .xls, .xlsx .xlsm .xlsb option if you are using the latest Excel version and format of Excel
6.We will select the normal .XLS version since this northwind.xls file was created using old format
7. Give a short and simple name to this DSN entry
8. Now select and point this DSN name to the appropriate Excel file
10. select the file and click OK. Close all the dialogs.
11. Now go back to InfoCaptor connection wizard
12. Select the "ODBC" option now instead of the "Excel" option
13. Give some simple name to this connection so that InfoCaptor can easily remember it
14. Type the ODBC name that was defined in the ODBC DSN setup screen previously
Click on the Connect button and then you can proceed the remaining of this tutorial after the connection part