This is a data analysis and visualization for players of American football who died while still on a team roster or a free agent. Included are players in the NFL, arena football, and college who have died as a result of team bus and plane accidents such as the plane crashes by Marshall and Wichita State’s team airplanes, players who committed suicide, players who were a victim of a homicide, accidents, and drownings. Players who died following the conclusion of their career are not included in the analysis.
1. Car accidents is the number one cause of deaths [41.7 % of deaths]
Following Car accidents, Heart Attack (12.5%) and Suicide (10.4%) stand at number 2 and 3 position for cause of death.
2. Majority of deaths occured for members of the Atlanta Falcons , Chicago Bears and Detroit Lions
[Click image to enlarge]
3. Distribution of deaths by Age
4. Deaths by Year and position of the player in the team
5. Cause of death and which team did the player belonged to [check the dashboard link for interactive version]
Finally, an interactive Chord diagram showing relation between cause of death and the team player.